Any Reno Wheelmen member can be reimbursed for up to 15 events (race or touring) each year at $30 per event. Reimbursement is tiered, with each tier requiring additional volunteering/service to the club. Tier 1 is 1-5 races, Tier 2 is 6-10 races, and Tier 3 is 11-15 races, plus clothing allowance and travel stipend.
- Race events must be sanctioned by either USA Cycling or OBRA in order to be reimbursable. Road, Mountain Bike, and Cyclocross events are all eligible.
- Touring events (century rides, MS150, Death Ride, etc.) are also reimbursable.
- Events promoted by the Reno Wheelmen are not reimbursable (e.g. Twilight races, Peavine Challenge).
- Stage races can be counted as a single event, or each stage (excluding prologue) can be claimed individually, subject to the overall limit on the number of race events.
- The amount per race will be reimbursed regardless of the actual race entry fee paid.
Reimbursement Requirements and Eligibility
In order to be reimbursed for a given event, a rider must:
- Wear a current-year club jersey during the event
- Enter Reno Wheelmen as the Club/Team on the race entry form
- Actually participate in the event and make every reasonable effort to complete it
- Write a race report for the event and submit for posting on the site and social media
In order to qualify for any event reimbursement, the rider must:
- Be a current club member (dues paid for year of reimbursement)
- Work 1 Club event for each tier of reimbursement being requested (see volunteer opportunities)
Qualified club events are listed on the reimbursement request form. In general, any RW event that is USA Cycling sanctioned qualifies as 1 event, and any RW Twilight race qualifies as ½ an event.
Any member that rides at least 10 events and meets the reimbursement requirements for Tier 3 can claim a $100 clothing reimbursement.
TeamRW Travel Stipend
At its discretion, the club Board of Directors may grant a travel stipend for members of the TeamRW racing team to attend certain high-priority races with the team. TeamRW members must meet the reimbursement requirements for Tier 3 to claim the stipend.
Official’s License Fee Reimbursement
Any current Reno Wheelmen member that is a USA Cycling licensed official can be reimbursed for their annual license fee ($35). There are no additional requirements for this reimbursement.
General Reimbursement Details
Financial reimbursement will take place annually. Members should list events on the Reimbursement Request Form and submit to the club treasurer by December 31, 2017 for reimbursement by January 31, 2018. Requests may be turned in early, but reimbursements will only be paid in January 2018. Members should indicate on the reimbursement request form that all eligibility requirements have been met and should list the duty performed to fulfill the club service requirement at each tier.
The total dollar amount paid by the club for reimbursement for the 2017 race year for all riders combined will be capped at $5000. If valid reimbursement requests are received in excess of this cap, all reimbursements will be proportionally reduced so as not to exceed the cap.